Friday, May 3, 2013

Ding Dong Ditch?!?


3/18/2013

Sorry...this is going to be a lame email....

I got sick sometime about a week ago with a sore throat, and it knocked me out a bit. I had a bit of a nasty cold. My throat was super sore and it hurt to swallow and I was coughing up a lung every hour. Well, if that wasn't enough, I managed to catch pink eye some how. But it never got that bad. I got some eye drops from Elder Winters and they took care of the pink eye. I got some sort of cough medicine pills from a pharmacy here....it didn’t work so well. My throat doesn't hurt anymore, but every now and then, I have weird coughing fits. Like right in the middle of church yesterday....

Speaking of church yesterday, we had one person there, V, the member. We started and it was just us missionaries, which was kind of weird, but then V showed up during the opening song. So that was good. We had church in English yesterday and even sang in English. It had been over a year since I had that. It was kind of nice.

So one more thing about being sick. Elder C and I were planning for something the other day around 3 o'clock pm, and I just couldn't do it, so I told him that I needed to lie down for a few minutes....He was nice and let me sleep. I woke up at 7....and went back to bed at 10:30 without a problem. I actually felt kind of awake the next morning.

That bites that Mollie was sick during spring break. I hope she feels better. Tell her that I can wait a week to hear from her.

So that's pretty exciting for the Greer family. It feels like that was a fast pregnancy on my side over here......sorry. I had to try and rub it in ;). I hope the baby is nice and happy.  

That's cool about the mission calls. Brent is like freakin' Hannah Montana. He's got the best of both worlds....Foreign and English speaking!!

So on Tuesday, we had a Mormon Night at the church (room). Since we keep religion out of our English classes here (no spiritual thoughts or prayers), we decided that it would be a good idea to talk about what we do here as missionaries and talk a little about the church and stuff in a manner that we could invite students and other people without it being weird. So we had an hour meeting where we talked about ourselves, the importance of families, the Winters' humanitarian work, the Book of Mormon, our missionary work, and we watched the 20 minute restoration movie. It was really good. We had questions and answers at the end, and people were super curious about temples and why they couldn't go in. It was kind of funny. We got some good responses though. One kid who's like 18 was really impressed and wanted a Book of Mormon and wanted all of us to sign it. He just really liked the way we presented things. The other elders are going to be meeting with him.

So the weather here has been nice, until a few days ago when it started snowing. We also had a cold front, so it stuck. It was in the teens here. We got about 6-8 inches, but it's all pretty much gone now. It was a mess walking through town. And freaking cold.

Another exciting thing from this week....We had to get medical exams for our visas here.  We had to get blood drawn, do a urine sample, get a chest x ray, get blood pressure done, and then have an "evaluation" from a psychologist and a psychiatrist. The mental exams were the worst part. All they did was ask if everything was fine, and if you say yes, they just sign it. As a mental health professional, don't crazy people usually think they're fine?   

So to answer your questions:

1.  Do the missionaries have to pay for detergent and fabric softener?
When you go to the MTC, you receive an id card that gets $5 a week for elders and $7 a week for sisters....Everyone always said that the two extra dollars was for "makeup and stuff....." (the words of Brat Johnson. We were just kidding when we asked him why girls get more money than the guys) And that's plenty.  Since she's only there for 12 days, I would suggest just buying the single Tide boxes from the vending machine in the laundry room instead of buying a box of detergent. It's like 50 cents per "serving" or whatever you want to call one load's worth.  So ya. You can usually just find fabric softener in the laundry room. Other people just leave what they have when they leave, so if you're a good scrounger, you can find stuff.

2.  Do the missionaries have to pay to do laundry?
You slide the card, but it doesn't charge you. So no, you don't pay for laundry. 

3.  Do you really need to take hangers with you on a mission?
You can buy them at the MTC if you don't take them. That's what I had to do. 

4.  Does the MTC have hangers?
Ya, for sale in the bookstore, but I didn't get to go there until day 3, so it was kind of annoying without hangers, so I would just suggest taking them if you can fit them.

5.  Any advice for us getting Bri ready for the MTC?
Sleep while you can. Eat while you can. Be glad it's just for 12 days. It'll be great. Be ready for tons of missionary cheese. You'll be just fine. Take your scriptures. If you want a new Preach My Gospel, you can get one. Study a lot, because you'll be teaching a lot. I wish you luck!


I'm trying to think of other good things from this week. People weren't the nicest this last week while tracting. Last night, we decided to do one more floor before we went home, so we rang a doorbell, and heard a little baby shriek and cry, and some one yell what translates to "really?!?!?!" Elder Compton and I looked at each other and realized that neither of us wanted to be there when the door opened so we got the heck out of there. We took off running and covered 6 flights of stairs in like 20 seconds. It was a little terrifying.

So we have zone conference in Sarajevo on Thursday....or Сарајево as it is in Cyrillics. I find it funny because it's all Latin letters, but with different sounds. So ya, back to Capajebo. That'll be cool. I will hopefully get my package then. It's killing me that I have to wait this long. We should also be getting transfer calls this weekend. Although I would be absolutely shocked if I move, since I've only been here for 6 weeks or so. But we'll see.

We found some super good burek the other day...the meat pastry. It's always exciting when you find a place with good food. Elder C made bagels from scratch yesterday after church. They were so good! It was the first time I've had a bagel in over a year.

On a side note, what happened to Brett's blog? It's not online any more, and I'm just curious why. I just want to know what's up with him.

Love,
P.J.


No comments:

Post a Comment