Sunday, November 18, 2012

Stomping out fires at the cemetery and getting nailed between the eyes...


November 5, 2012

Hej, bok family!

After my check-up on Friday, I can declare that I am back to complete normal! We got on the 8:30 bus and got there at around 12:15 (it wasn't an express bus, so instead of about 3 hours and 15 minutes, it was about 3 and 45...) And then jumped in a taxi to go to the doctors. They did another urine sample and all came back okay. So hopefully I never have another Kidney stone again! After, we had lunch at the office, did some stuff there for a little bit, caught early dinner at McDonalds and then caught a bus back to Zadar. And this was a weird bus. They played a movie...a strange one. It was something about Nazis living on the moon planning an attack on Earth and moving their plan forward by teaming up with Sarah Palin, who is the American president. So yeah...Space Nazis taking over the earth with the help of Sarah Palin. It was freaking strange. But it wasn't as bad as the last one. It was some weird movie that had English audio. So even without watching it, you are subject to f-bombs every 45 seconds. But the worst part about this movie is that it was a relatively short movie (figures...where is the plot gonna go in a movie like that?) on a relatively long ride....so it played 3 times. It was so obnoxious.

That's cool about the ward split, even though it won’t affect anything...especially me ;).  

That's cool about the cat. He seems pretty cool. I can imagine Simon wanting to play with him. I wonder if he'll calm down, or if he'll hate him forever like JoJo does.

Guess what? Even if I get the box early, I might actually wait until Christmas to open my stuff!  

Wait...is that a typo that Jesse graduates from Basic in November? (It is...the correct date is January) Isn't it usually 6-9 weeks? That's cool that he's going to do in San Antonio...in November. It would bite to do it in the summer there.

That's crazy that the election is this week. I'm kind of sad to say it, but I'm completely clueless about the whole situation. I've heard bits and pieces from senior couples and Sis. Rowe. But besides that, not much. It'll maybe be exciting. That's cool that you dodged Jury duty. That would bite. I had to go to extreme measures and leave the country to get out of mine back in March ;). 

So question time:
Questions for you:

1.  How goes teaching?
Better. We got in while tracting. We got let in tracting and had a lesson with an old couple. I don't remember the woman's name, but the man's name was Z*****. They were really cool, but they had the annoying, "Well, everything is good and correct" thing going. It's kind of funny how it's more frustrating when people believe everything, rather than nothing. At least when they don't believe anything it gives you somewhere to go....But they were really nice and said that they would tell their family about us, so we'll see what happens.
2.  Are you eating enough?
So far....
3.  Do you still look the same??
Uh....I dunno. I would assume so. Nobody has ever questioned my passport yet, so I'm gonna say, yup, still look the same. But I guess you'll find out in little less than 2 months!
4.  Do you still remember how to speak English???
Unfortunately yes....and even more unfortunate is that my English is still far better than my Croatian.
5.  Notice how the question marks are getting progressively more????
What???????????

So we had a pretty good Halloween party back on Wednesday. We pretty much just carved pumpkins and ate refreshments, but it was still fun. We tried to make a "Stick your hand in the eye balls" sort of game just to mess with the kids. So we over boiled pasta and threw in some cooked mushrooms (they smelled terrible by the way) and mixed them together for brains, and then we peeled grapes for the eyeballs. We would have made more things, but it was a bit of a last minute idea in the first place. For refreshments, Elder A made a pretty elaborate chocolate cake (his mom is a baking master of sorts) and I made some caramel and cut some apples. Caramel doesn't exist over here except for in candy bars, so I had to make it from scratch. It's not the best stuff, but it was decent. Especially if you’re a Croat and have no concept of what caramel is or what it should taste like. I think it's funny when we make desserts for them because none of them can take too much of it because it's all way too sweet for them. It's just our little chance to show them what dessert should really taste like.

Thursday was Svi Sveti (All Saints Day). That was pretty cool. I took pictures, but don't have my camera. We went to the graveyard and checked it out. Everyone brings candles and puts them everywhere...that's pretty much my basic understanding of the holiday. It has something to do with praying for souls in purgatory or something like that....But they put hundreds of plastic candles together and inevitably they melt and catch fire, so we got to put out a couple of fires at the cemetery.

English class seems like it'll be pretty good. We had 7 people show up to the first class and 3 came to the second class (It was on All Saints Day, so we figured as much). They all seem pretty cool... 

Funny story: I don't know why, but Elder A  went to ring a doorbell last night, and it shocked the you-know-what out of him. Something weird was going on with that building mixed with the rain, because the next door did it again. I just put my finger near the button and could feel it. It was funny to watch him push the button and flip out though, because I didn't know that could happen.

Another one: So we were sitting in our apartment a couple of weeks ago, and Elder A asked me if I though that I could dodge a bullet, I said yes, so he chucked a pen at me and I hit it away with my hand and the pen just broke into pieces, so on Saturday morning he was joking around and asked if I could do it again. I said yes. Well he faked me out once and then threw it. I thought he was faking me out again...Well to make a long story short, I didn't dodge or flinch at all and the pen nailed me right in the middle of the forehead and made me bleed a little bit. It hurt a bit. Now I have a scab between my eyebrows. If it had been a bullet, I'd be dead. Guess I need to practice more.

I'm trying to think of anything else. I think that's about it for this week. I love you all a bunch! I bet I'll remember a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting right after I log off, but maybe for next week!

Love you all!
P.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment