Monday, April 23, 2012

Bullet Holes in the Shutters and a cool day-trip!

~Kind of dark...but that is Karlovac behind him!~

~I'm guessing this is supposed to be proof to me (his mother) that he is actually drinking something fortified...for once in his life... ;) ~


Sorry about last week. That was pretty lame. I was a little disappointed, but we didn’t have much of a choice here in Karlovac. So I don't know if I’ll be able to remember everything that happened inthe last 2 weeks, but I’ll hit with the big events.

So Plitvice was awesome! It's like and hour and a half bus from here, so we caught the bus at 8:20 and got there around 9:50. It was such a cool place. The water is sooooo blue and clean. I’m just used to lake Lewisville and Grapevine. I didn’t know you could have water that clean and still call it a lake. We started off by walking through the woods up above all of the water to the ferry which took us across one of the lakes, and then we took the wooden plank walkways all the way around the different falls and caves. It's a must do when you come to pick me up. I got quite a few cool pictures, but I don’t know if I have enough time to upload them today. We were there until about 4:00. It started raining right when we were leaving so we had some perfect timing.

Last Wednesday was awesome, too. We found out that we were going to Ljubljana [Slovenia] for zone conference. It is such a cool city. The drive is just so cool. There are big rolling hills everywhere just covered in trees. Everything isn’t quite green yet, but it was still awesome. Throughout the hills there are a bunch of little village towns and little churches. The coolest part was seeing the Alps on the drive in. They are absolutely huge. Utah mountains have nothing on them. I didn't get to see downtown, though, because the chapel is on the edge of town. But I can now say that I've been there. And I have the passport stamps to prove it. Now I need to get to Serbia and Bosnia. Bosnia would be so cool. Hopefully some day while I'm here. So yeah... I got to go international last week...even if it was just for a few hours.

So.... I know I’m being a little missionary-esque by just taping my suit together, but it's saving me money and I don’t even know if I can get a good suit in Karlovac. I would probably have to go up to Zagreb to get anything decent (since it's a small town here) and that would cost, too. So I'll probably just keep using the suit I have until I can no longer. But I think a suit here is somewhere around 1200 kuna or so....so like $240 or so.....but I don’t know for sure.

Those are the two big events that I can think of, so now I’ll start answering questions.

1. Any second appointments?

Eh....kind of. There's a man named E that we found when we were tracting. He's pretty unsure about what he believes and he's been trying to find a religion that makes sense to him. He's done a lot of research and is leaning towards Hinduism because he likes the idea of Karma, but he's not sure. He had heard a little about Mormons, but not a ton. So we met with him. And he has so many questions!!!!!! But the cool part is that he doesn't ask questions to be argumentative or to disprove us like most people. He just asks questions because he's curious. And he likes to talk a lot, go figure...he's a Croat. So we've met with him three times and we're gonna try and meet with him again sometime this week or next.

2. Still loving the shower?

The shower is still nice. I like it a lot, but it has lost a little bit of novelty.

4. What is your favorite scripture?

5. How goes the work?

The work is good. We have a new investigator name I*** who is a lonely old guy with health problems. He's so nice, but he has issues with health and money, that are preoccupation his time and mind. After our first lesson we prayed, and afterwards he just started crying and was pretty much speechless. After he gained control he asked us to teach him how to pray like that so he could ask for help. He's just so awesome and I feel so bad for him.

6. Are you doing okay??

I’m doing well. We walk a lot everyday and my callouses are getting big. But I’m holding up well. I’m tired all the time, but I’ll get over it.

7. Are you staying healthy?

Yup.....and I got harassed about not taking my vitamins by Sister Turner, the nurse, but oh well. I got the "foods not fortified" lecture, but all of the juice and milk that I drink says "with vitamin C and D" so I’ll be fine.....and no one else takes vitamins either and everyone's fine....and I never drank milk for calcium before my mission either.

8. How is the language coming?

The language is getting better. Just this last week I’ve started to notice how much more I’m able to say and understand. I can feel it starting to just come out naturally a little bit. Instead of thinkingand translating, sometimes I find myself just saying. It's pretty cool.

9. Miss anything from the states food-wise?

I was just talking about that yesterday to the other missionaries. I don’t think so. I miss the frozen food isle from the grocery stores back home, because it doesn't really exist here. But I’m getting by fine. Chicken Express is almost sounding good again....It sounds like I’m getting desperate for america.

10. Miss your mommy? Just kidding….

yes....tear...sniff....sniff......good thing I get to talk to you in a couple of weeks!

11. Miss your bed?? Just kidding, again.

Yeah. My queen size bed is nice for size, but it is nowhere near as soft.

12. JoJo misses you…ha! **side note....JoJo is our evil cat**

I still hate her......

So yeah. It's been a good couple of weeks. A couple of other things I forgot. We had to go and get stuff that our apartment didn’t have like an iron, broom, trash can, dish drying rack, etc......and we may or may not have spent $50 on an iron. But, then we called the office and they said it was reimbursable. So, now we have an awesome iron.

I think that's about it for this week. Oh yeah....the address for the mission home is the one on the blog....in Zagreb. That's cool about moving offices. I hope it works out all right for you.

I love you all and miss you all. I'm looking forward to Mother’s Day....p.s. In Croatia we have shutters on every window that pull down and they are pretty much black out shutters. They're awesome. We pulled down the shutters in the study room the other day and we found something interesting. I put the pictures on shutterfly.....We found a souvenir from the Serbs.....bullet holes in our apartment. Isn't that crazy? I thought it was kind of cool.

Anyways I gotta go. Talk to ya next week.

Love,

P.J.

~Bullet hole in the apartment shutter~

No comments:

Post a Comment